Following from E.B. Scott's "The Saga of Lake Tahoe," published in 1957.
When seen from the air, small, secluded Marla Bay's contour resembles an Indian's profile. To the south lies Edgewood, and on the north, Zephyr Cove. Round Hill, alternately known over the years as Folsom's Knob and Peak, Round Mountain and Mound, here rises some 700 feet from the lake.
In the spring of 1864, John Marley, a native of England, pre-empted 160 acres surrounding the bay. At the time the Lake Bigler toll road ran in a dog-leg above the present highway and here Marley built a log cabin facing the turnpike. On a small stretch of meadowland to the west running to the water, he raised timothy hay, scythe-cut his crop and baled it with a crude hand press. Marley also planted potatoes and other vegetables, obtaining fantastic prices for his high-altitude "whoppers" from travelers passing over the Golden Road.
Rancher Marley bore the doubtful distinction of being listed on the first tax rolls of Douglas County, Nevada, with a personal property valuation of $25. This assessment covered one wagon. As no horses, mules, oxen, milk cows or beef cattle were itemized, the intriguing question is posed _ did Marley haul his own wagon?
On November 19, 1870, Captain Augustus W. Pray of Glenbrook bought Marley's ranch for $407.10 in back taxes. Although an account of this pioneer's life after he left the bay is lost to history, John Marley's name remains on the cove _ shortened over the years to Marla.
Maggie Tracey with Oso her experienced SUP dog and her new dog Smoke learning the SUP balance
We welcome you to send us any pictures of life in Marla Bay. We would gladly post them but we do reserve the right to edit the photos. Some of the wild party shots might not be appropriate.